The college application process can be a stressful and overwhelming experience for both high school students and their parents. However, with the right approach, the process can be made less frustrating and the results more successful with some thoughtful planning.
A Quick Guide for Parents and Students
Here are a few tips to make navigating the college application process go more smoothly:
- Start early: The college application process takes time and effort. Remember, it doesn’t begin in your child’s senior year. Encourage your child to begin building their resume as early as possible while exploring their core interests.
- Stay organized: Time management is an essential skill, one that should be implemented and cultivated. Keeping track of deadlines, both in school and outside of school will help build a culture of success, one that can be used throughout life!
- Encourage your child to be themselves: College admissions officers want to get to know the student behind the application. Encourage your child to be authentic and to let their personality shine through in their essays and other application materials.
- Working together during this stressful time, parents and applicants should communicate openly and honestly about their concerns and expectations. Remember, your concerns and expectations may be very different!
- Consider using a professional college admissions consultant: college admissions consultants can provide valuable guidance and support throughout the application process. They can help your child develop a realistic and thoughtful strategy for applying to colleges, provide guidance in editing their application materials, and preparing for interviews.
The Benefits of Using a College Admissions Consultant
Why using a college admissions consultant can add relief:
- There are a lot of college options out there! Consultants can provide guidance on realistically selecting colleges to apply to based on your child’s academic strengths, community engagement activities, and long-term goals.
- They can help your child develop a stand-out application, highlighting their unique strengths and experiences.
- They can give guidance on how to complete the application and essays so that your child is more likely to be admitted.
- They can assist your child in preparing for college admissions interviews.
- They can provide support and encouragement throughout the entire process, which can be especially helpful for anxious students and families.
- They can make sense of the specific deadlines, requirements, and materials needed for each college application. This will help ensure that everything is submitted on time and that nothing is overlooked.
By implementing these tips and considering the use of a college admissions consultant, you can begin to help your child prepare for and navigate the complicated college application process more smoothly, minimizing stress levels and maximizing their chances of success. Learn more about Solomon Admissions Consulting. Let us Coach you through Admissions.
Former Associate Director of Admissions at Cornell University
13 Years in Cornell Admissions
20,000+ Applications Read and Evaluated
Carla, with over a dozen years in higher education admissions and program management, is dedicated to helping students achieve their potential. She holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Washington and has a background in teaching and human services. At Cornell, Carla played a key role in reviewing applications and training admissions readers, offering a deep understanding of the admissions process. Her experience, combined with raising two college-bound children, gives her a unique insight into college admissions.